Shallow Thoughts

because deep thoughts smack of effort

A Hell of a Year

Posted in Personal Declarations by Bridget on July 30th, 2008

Ok, so I’ve been away from my blog for approximately half a year. I apologize for that, but I had good reasons. It’s been a hell of a year. It seems like every 10 years, there is a cycle of discomfort to remind me it’s customary to have problems – just like everyone else. I don’t want to complain because for 9 years it’s relatively smooth sailing, comparatively speaking. But on the 10th year, The Universe plays catch up and heaps a shit-storm upon me and/or my family to bring things back into alignment.

Now that things seem to have settled into normalcy, I’ll try to do better. I’ll attempt to return to sharing my shallow observations and unsubstantiated rationales on whatever I am prompted to write about.

If you are interested in what transpired this year that kept me away, keep reading. If not, move along.

The shit hits the fan

It started at the dog skin supplement
end of December. My mother and father were both sick with the flu (or so we thought). While my dad recovered in usual time, my mother's symptoms lingered. She was going back and forth to the doctor on a regular basis to try to get past it, but instead she worsened. It turned that she had a heart attack and was in congestive heart failure. She ended up having quintuple bypass surgery on Christmas day. Thankfully, she has recovered from that very well, but with complications. She has blockage in one of her carotid arteries that cannot be treated because it is too high up for the surgeon to reach.

A few weeks later my step-father-in-law had a major stroke. My mother-in-law had to choose between treating him which had a 60% chance of mortality for him, or do nothing which was certain death. Naturally, she chose to give him a chance to live, but with the odds being only 40% it didn't feel as hopeful as we would have liked. Thankfully, by the grace of God, he has recovered, too.

That same weekend, my sister's mother-in-law died unexpectedly.

Goliath, as a youngster

Goliath, as a youngster

Just as things started to seem like they were settling back down, my beloved dog got fussy about eating (out of the blue). When I took him into the vet, they determined that his kidneys weren't functioning at full capacity, but they thought they had caught it early enough to treat him and put him on a special diet that would maintain him for a few years. It didn't work out that way. He wasn't responding to the treatment as he should and we lost him.

A few weeks after that, my sister (mentioned above) was walking home from work when a pick-up truck struck her as she crossed the street. She was banged up pretty good, but suffered no serious damage.

Excuses, Excuses

Although most of the events outlined above had positive outcomes, these events kept me very busy. As a result, focusing on regular blog contributions took a back seat. I still had a full time job that also required my time and attention. I just didn't have anything left to give at the end of the day.

The past couple months have been more stable and I find my energy returning to me. That is why I am now declaring that it's time to observe the world, shallowly of course, and start documenting what I think.

God help us all.

Leave a Reply